A Short History of Yoshidaya Ryokan
Yoshidaya Ryokan started business in 1880 as a small restaurant. The firstunagi-ya in Gujo Hachiman, Yoshidaya offered locals their first opportunity to taste unagi. Over the years the restaurant grew both in size and in reputation into a small ryokan.
Today, under the direction of chef/owner Shingo Tanahashi, the Minokin Restaurant, as part of Yoshidaya Ryokan, carries on the tradition of that first small unagi restaurant. Recipes from the original restaurant, which have been handed down from generation to generation, are still used today!
Yoshidaya Ryokan's present location, on the old town's main street, is on the site of the residence of the former local feudal lord's retainer. The original garden (You can see a 360 degree interactive panorama of this garden here)survives today as the ryokan's inner court garden, and the original well can still be seen in the Minokin Restaurant. It is rumored, by locals, that the well is directly connected to the Sogi Sui water spring which is recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Environment for both ecological and historical significance. Water from this well is used today to keep the ayu and unagi served in the restaurant fresh!
Relationship with Kita Oji Rosanjin
Over the years Yoshidaya Ryokan has been privileged to welcome guests celebrities, including Kita Oji Rosanjin (1883 - 1959). We are proud that he loved our cuisines and also we are determined that we will keep up the history and tradition.